Knitting & Stitching Show 2013


Last Saturday I went to the Knitting & Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace. I saw some amazing exhibits, most of which I can't remember the creator or wasn't allowed to take photos. I loved Sally Spink's tiny insect knitted clothing and was very moved by Mary Fisher's Messages exhibition.

The Carnaby Street's Crazy Cab Cozy was awesome, I loved all the tiny details:


I especially liked the bird on the wing mirror. I had sparrows perching on my wing mirror most of the summer, occasionally looking in the mirror and pooping on my car.


I was also fascinated with Nicola Jarvis's exhibition inspired by William Morris, the bird below is from "Birds In The Strawberry Bed" by Nicola Jarvis and Michele Hill:


The show was crazily busy, I spent a lot of time being completely stuck in crowds, unable to move and panicking. I missed a huge amount of the retail stalls as there were so many people (which was probably good for my bank balance). I definitely won't visit again on a Saturday.

Luckily I had booked on a workshop with Sarah Corbett from the Craftivist Collective which prevented me having a full-scale meltdown. We made mini protest banners - I still need to find somewhere to hang mine (pic below) where it won't get ripped down/set fire to within 10 minutes. Check their website out, it is full of ideas to raise consciousness through crafting rather than more in-your-face activism.

 
Alexandra Palace itself is strangely grand yet run down. Lots of it seems boarded up but it has some beautiful features. This is the roof above the picnic area (something else that saved my sanity):
 

 
This is the outside view of the giant stained glass - it was far too busy inside to take a photo of the main side. I developed a slight obsession with the statue on the roof, it reminded me of the angels from Doctor Who. I expected it to come to life and start smiting people...
 


No comments:

Post a Comment